WEM Modeler configuration
The WEM Modeler is used to fully model your applications from A to Z. All the tools you need to build, test and publish your applications are available through the WEM Modeler. To model your application, you define what data you need to store in your applications and what the flow of your application should be. You use the modeler to create lists to store all data, and to create flowcharts that define the working of your application. If you need access to external sources, services, need single sign-on (SSO), make your application multi-lingual, etc.: everything is done through the WEM modeler. To make it all work there are a number of settings that set up your project correctly. In this article we explain how Workspaces and Projects etc. are managed. With that knowledge you can get the most out of your WEM Project.
WEM Start Page
The WEM Start Page is the first thing that you will see when you go to the modeler after logging in to WEM.
The WEM Start Page shows:
- Recent opened Projects
- Your current Workspaces and Projects
- Links to documentation that will help you understand the WEM modeler and it’s functions more detailed
- News and updates about WEM
- Updates about any support requests that you have made
Projects and Workspaces
WEM uses the terms Projects and Workspaces. This section explains more about Projects and Workspaces.
- Projects represent applications that you build with WEM. These can be web or native mobile applications. Projects can be created by clicking New Project on the WEM start Page. The new Project will be stored under the selected workspace.
- Workspaces are used to organize projects. For example, you might want to create a Workspace to bundle the Projects you are working on for a particular customer, or Projects you are working on with a team. You can also create Workspaces which reflect the business process you are working on, for example an HR Workspace for all your HR Projects or a Sales Workspace for all your Sales Projects. Workspaces can be created by clicking Manage projects and Workspaces on the WEM Start Page.
- There are no restrictions on how to use Workspaces, so you can use them to organize your Projects in such a way that it makes sense to you.
- Workspaces and Projects are user restricted but can be shared with others, so that you can decide for yourself who can view or edit.
At the very top, you find a menu bar with several options:
Here you can:
- Go to your current Project
- Go to your Project Settings
- Preview your Project (Full Project mode)
- Publish your Project
- Go to Documentation
Create new Project
Projects are the basis of your application. Every application is created within a project. So to get started on a new application means that you need to create a new project. When you click on
+New project, you are presented with the following New Project Wizard:
To create a new project, simply follow the New Project Wizard to create the basic settings for your project. Note: you can always change your settings after creating your project. Just go to the Settings menu in the menu bar.
On this first screen of the New Project Wizard you enter the name of the project you are creating, and you can select the workspace you want to put the project in.
Alternatively, on this screen you can create a new workspace if you don’t already have the right one created. In that case you simply enter the name of the new workspace.
The next Language selection step of the New Project Wizard lets you set which default language your project will use. The default is English (United States) however you can change this to any language you like.
Changing the default language also sets how other things like numbers and dates are displayed. You will see examples of what the formatting will be underneath the selection.
This is just the default for your project. You can change the default later if you like. Later in this course, we will also show you how you can make an application that allows your users to select the language they want to use.
The Time Zone can be derived from the IP address of the clients computer or device or the Time Zone can be Fixed. If the Fixed option is chosen, then a specific time zone must be selected next.
Domain names are the web addresses that your project will be published to. That means, when you are ready to share your application with other people you can set the web address that they will use to see it.
You can use the default WEM URLs which are in the format:
- Staging (Testing) – xxx.staging.wem.io
- Live (Production) – xxx.live.wem.io
Alternatively, you can use your own custom domain names, e.g. app.mycompany.com. This will require a little configuration on your side to work. You can find a description how to link a project to a custom domain name on our Forum: https://my.wem.io/forum?threadid=37
The last stage of the New Project Wizard is to select a design for your application. The design defines how the application will look, including colors, logos and menus. You can choose from several predefined designs.
Note: Creating personalized design is possible, but is not available yet in the modeler version 4. Contact WEM HQ to find out more.
Once you are happy with the settings for your project you can click Create Project to use the settings you have entered and create your application.
Next, let’s look at setting up and configuring your WEM Project[/et_pb_text][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][/et_pb_section]