WEM has been designed to hide the complexity of software development and enabling subject matter experts to visually create applications. We call this rapid application modeling.
Before we dive into the WEM usage, let’s look at what an application exactly is. According to Wikipedia: “An application program (application or app for short) is a computer program designed to perform a group of coordinated functions, tasks, or activities for the benefit of the user.” To build and use an application, there are several components that make up an application:
- All the user interface components, like buttons, forms, pictures, tables, etc. These components exist in various application screens, or application pages and are the main interface for the user to work with.
Within WEM we call these pages ‘User Interactions’
- All applications work with information, or data. Your application may need to store customer information, or enable users to buy a new pair of sneakers. All this information needs to be stored.
In WEM structured data are stored in ‘Lists’.
- Application logic. Every application performs certain tasks and these tasks follow a certain application logic, or workflow. This is everything that happens ‘under the hood’.
To define how your application works, WEM uses ‘flowcharts’.
- Integration with external systems and applications is something that is key in modern applications. That can range from using Facebook to log into your application, to using complex data from ERP systems. Or even using public services to get information like ‘where is the nearest public restroom in Amsterdam’.
WEM has been built with integration in mind, so there are various ways to easily and visually integrate your application with other systems.
So, we have everything in place to help you build your own application, whether this is a desktop application or a mobile app.
Let’s get started, so we can build our own application. The steps to take:
- Create your WEM Modeler Account
- Start a new project (the WEM way of saying: let’s create a new application)
- Model your features into the project and work towards your solution
Create your WEM Modeler Account
You need a WEM Modeler Account to start building your own apps. And creating a WEM account is simple. Simply go to the Create a WEM Account Page and sign up for free (or use the Start for free link at the top of this page). On this page you already get some useful links to Resources and Video Showcases.
Fill in the form and hit the
Create account button. Then you will receive an email with a link to activate your account. Once you have done this, your account is ready and you can get started on that first app. A first personal Workspace and empty Project are automatically created.
The next step: log into My WEM.
MyWEM is the central location from where you can access all your WEM information. You can access it via the Sign In link at the top of this site, or follow this link and add it to your favorites!
Most important parts on MyWEM:
- Get Started (homepage): with links to useful resources, Free Online Training and Quick Start Projects, free to copy and study!
- My Projects: the list of your projects so from here you can start them directly in the Modeler.
- Training: the dedicated Training Page, access to online training and the starting-projects for Exercises.
- Forum (topmenu or from get-started page): the WEM Forum where WEM Users and experts exchange information, answer questions and where updates and new features are first revealed!
- My Support: if you need specific help in your projects, the Support Team is available.
- My Details: your personal page with account details, and the option to be officially forgotten (GDPR compliant) via the edit-page.
Read the My WEM documentation to learn more about the My WEM portal.
WEM Modeler introduction
When you have selected a project from My WEM, this project opens in the WEM Modeler.
Here is what you will use to define the data you use, the flowcharts in your application, integration with external systems, etc.
How to build an application
Building an app with WEM Modeler is very straightforward:
- Create a new project. This is where you model your application.
- Model your application through the WEM modeler. You specify the data your app needs to work with, the workflows that apply to your app, integrate with external systems when needed and create the necessary user interactions.
- Preview your application to test features and logic.
- Publish the application (staging for acceptance, live for production) so it is available for your targeted userbase.
There is a lot more that can be explained about all these steps and detailed information can be found in our documentation environment.
Also, make sure you take a look at all the resources available at MyWEM Get Started Page…
They offer a great way to learn the basics of modeling your application with the WEM Modeler!